The Shuswap Trail Alliance is working to park cars and get people on bicycles and feet.
The Alliance exists as a collaboration of partners working together to create purpose built, sanctioned and sustainable trails throughout the Shuswap region. The Alliance motto is, "Well-designed, well-signed, well-maintained, well-promoted". We see success as people living actively, enjoying nature, and demonstrating a commitment to sustainability.
Weaving it green in the Shuswap!
Shuswap Bicycle Month - ALL May - Check the Event Calendar
TrailRider Demos this month. Help us raise $7000.
Summer Student Job Opportunity through the Government of Canada Summer Jobs program.
8 Successful Years
The STA has taken on over 70 projects over eight years, and written or contributed to over 45 research reports and public documents. Its a team effort that has engaged over 200 groups, organizations and businesses; and involves 1000's of hours of volunteer time and the incredible support of a host or regional partners and sponsors. Here's a snapshot:
- Over 70 completed greenway trail projects valued at more than $1.2 million in amenity assets
- 45 documented studies, publications, guidelines, and subsidized community trail plans
- 7 signature trail systems, 19 trails, 7 major upgrades, over 200 signs, and 3500 blazes
- Totalling over 70 km of new trails impacting 12 communities throughout the Shuswap
- 3 major stewardship plans, 7 adaptive environmental plans, 1 strategic business plan
- Creation of the environmental adaptive trail monitoring program
- A facilitated community-development model for collaboration (being copied by others)
- Development of accountable working protocols with Secwepemc Nation leadership
- Research and development of regional trail, sign, and environmental design standards
- collaboration with Shuswap Tourism on destination marketing and development
- Unprecedented provincial attention as an emerging leader in regional development
- Leveraged National and International film and magazine media exposure for the region
- Doubled every local dollar raised with matching grant investments
- Doubled every dollar invested with matching in-kind investment
- $1,500,000 in leveraged cash investments distributed throughout eight regional communities,
- including over $100,000 raised at the February Fundraiser since 2007
- $1,500,000 in local community in-kind investment and leadership
- creation of the Trail Stewards Program and firstname.lastname@example.org hotline
- more than 60 volunteer trail stewardship events totalling 5600 hours’ worth over $84,000
- assembled equipment valued at over $55,000 to support future volunteer trail work
- local employment and work experience training for over 80 people since 2006
- over 200 local business sponsors (includes 15 milestone partners donating $10,000+)
- Establishment of www.shuswaptrails.com as the regional online trails guide
- Fifth edition printing of the Shuswap Trails guide with Shuswap Tourism
- Launch of the Fall Hiking, Routes and Blues, and Winter Big Foot interpretive programs
Partners and Sponsors
The Shuswap Trail Alliance acknowledges the support of Western Economic Diversification Canada, Services Canada, the Province of British Columbia, Recreation Sites and Trails BC, BC Parks, the Southern Interior Development Initiative Trust, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District, Shuswap Tourism, the City of Salmon Arm, the District of Sicamous, Salmon Arm Savings and Credit Union, the Rotary Club of Salmon Arm, Community Futures Development Corporation, Thompson Rivers University School of Tourism, Skookum Cycle and Ski, Waterways Houseboats, Twin Anchors Houseboats, Mountain Equipment Coop, BC Parks Community Legacy Fund, Shuswap Lady Striders, the Shuswap Community Foundation’s Browne Johnson Legacy Fund, over 200 regional businesses, and the 100s of individuals and volunteers from around the Shuswap who are helping to make our communities healthier places to live.
Downtown Family Fun Ride
Fri May 24, 2013 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
@ Downtown Salmon Arm
A leisurely ride through downtown Salmon Arm with lots of silly stops in between! Fun for the whole family! We are working to add a movie following the event to support the newly formed Shuswap Bike Club so, stay tuned.
Ladies Group Ride
Wed May 22, 2013 6:00 pm - 6:00 pm
@ Skookum Cycle
Meet at Skookum 6pm Tuesday nights
TrailRider demos at the bike month street fair Saturday
Monday, May 6, 2013
The Shuswap, British Columbia – There’s a new set of wheels in town, or should we say “wheel”. The campaign to purchase three TrailRiders for the Shuswap notches up this month with the arrival of a demo doing the rounds throughout May.
May is Shuswap Bicycle Month
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Tuesday April 9, 2013 - It’s time to ride! May is Shuswap Bicycle Month and the perfect time to be outside. Bicycle Month is a celebration of human powered transportation, calling attention to the joys and benefits of cycling for young and old alike.