The Shuswap Trail Alliance is working to park cars and get people on bicycles and feet. . .
and paddles, and skis, and snowshoes, and horses, and. . .
The Shuswap Trail Alliance exists as a collaboration of partners working together to create purpose built, sanctioned and sustainable trails throughout the Shuswap region. The Alliance motto is, "Well-designed, well-signed, well-maintained, well-promoted". We see success as people living actively, enjoying nature, and demonstrating a commitment to sustainability.
Weaving it green in the Shuswap!
The Annual 2014 Shuswap Trails Party and Fundraiser tickets are on sale now! Click here for details.
9 Successful Years
The STA has taken on over 120 projects in the past nine years, and written or contributed to over 54 community trail plans, publications, guidelines, research reports and public documents. Its a team effort that has engaged over 200 groups, organizations and businesses; and involves 1000's of hours of volunteer time and the incredible support of a host or regional partners and sponsors. Here's a snapshot:
- Over 120 completed projects valued at more than $1.4 million in amenity assets
- 54 documented studies, publications, guidelines, and subsidized community trail plans
- 8 signature trail systems, 25 trails, 8 major upgrades, over 400 signs, and 4500 blazes
- Totalling over 80 km of new trails impacting 12 communities throughout the Shuswap
- 4 major stewardship plans, 8 adaptive environmental plans, 1 strategic business plan
- Creation of the environmental adaptive trail monitoring program
- A facilitated community-development model for collaboration (being copied by others)
- Development of accountable working protocols with Secwepemc Nation leadership
- Research and development of regional trail, sign, and environmental design standards
- collaboration with Shuswap Tourism on destination marketing and development
- Unprecedented provincial attention as an emerging leader in regional development
- Leveraged National and International film and magazine media exposure for the region
- Doubled every local dollar raised with matching grant investments
- Doubled every dollar invested with matching in-kind investment
- $1,500,000 in leveraged cash investments distributed throughout eight regional communities,
- including over $130,000 raised at the February Fundraiser since 2007
- $1,500,000 in local community in-kind investment and leadership
- creation of the Trail Stewards Program and firstname.lastname@example.org hotline
- more than 90 volunteer trail stewardship events totalling over 7400 hours worth over $110,000
- assembled equipment valued at over $55,000 to support future volunteer trail work
- local employment and work experience training for over 85 people since 2006
- over 200 local business sponsors (includes 25 milestone partners donating $10,000+)
- Establishment of www.shuswaptrails.com as the regional online trails guide
- Fifth edition printing of the Shuswap Trails guide with Shuswap Tourism
- Launch of the Fall Hiking, Routes and Blues, and Winter Big Foot interpretive programs
- And leadership training for experiential eco-tourism and ecological education
Partners and Sponsors
The Shuswap Trail Alliance acknowledges the Milestone contributions of Western Economic Diversification Canada, Services Canada, the Province of British Columbia including Recreation Sites and Trails BC and BC Parks, the Southern Interior Development Initiative Trust, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District Areas C, D, E, & F, the City of Salmon Arm, the District of Sicamous, North Okanagan Regional District Area F, the City of Enderby, the Village of Chase, Shuswap Tourism, Salmon Arm Savings and Credit Union, the Rotary Club of Salmon Arm, Community Futures Shuswap, Thompson Rivers University School of Tourism, Skookum Cycle and Ski, Waterways Houseboats, Twin Anchors Houseboats, Tim Hortons, Lakeside Insurance, Mountain Equipment Coop, BC Parks Community Legacy Fund, Shuswap Lady Striders, the Shuswap Community Foundation’s Browne Johnson Legacy Fund, over 200 regional businesses, and the 100s of individuals and volunteers from around the Shuswap who are helping to make our communities healthier places to live.
Silent Auction and Fund Raiser
Fri Feb 6, 2015
@ Salmon Arm Rec Center
2015 annual silent auction and fund raiser.
Shuswap Trail party tickets hot item for Christmas
Monday, December 9, 2013
The Shuswap, British Columbia – The combination of growing regional greenway trails and having a whole load of fun has become something of a tradition for communities throughout the Shuswap each winter. Now into its eighth anniversary, the annual Shuswap Trail Alliance fundraiser dance and silent auction kicks into gear with tickets going on sale this week just in time for Christmas stockings.
Shuswap TrailRider project takes another roll forward
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
December 03, 2013
The Shuswap TrailRider project takes another roll forward
The Shuswap, British Columbia – The Shuswap TrailRider program just took a huge step – or roll – forward thanks to a $7400 grant from the Salmon Arm Savings and Credit Union’s community sponsorship program.